Victrix Investment Advisors
Will Thompson, CFA, CFP, AIF
Founder & Portfolio Manager
Will Thompson’s interest in investing started at an early age with baseball cards. He did not collect his favorite players or team but instead read the box scores in the newspaper and studied the price guide to compare the season the players were having to the price of their cards. Ever the analyst, Will then traded to the neighborhood kids their favorite players in return for undervalued cards.
As he grew out of baseball cards, he started reading books on business in the eighth grade. He majored in Finance at the University of Notre Dame, where he discovered the investment philosophy of Warren Buffett. This set his professional direction.
Will started in the investment industry with two very valuable learning experiences as a junior analyst: for Trinity Capital of Jacksonville and for Courage Capital; both funds managed concentrated portfolios with a Value bent.
After earning his M.B.A from Vanderbilt University with a concentration in Finance and Accounting, he spent four years as an analyst for Sterling Capital Management in Charlotte, North Carolina. He conducted research for the firm’s concentrated Small, SMID, and Mid Cap Value products, and earned his Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation during this period.
In 2006, he began working for Jove Partners, a long/short operational activist hedge fund based in New York City, and later worked for Accenture, doing corporate finance and management consulting.
In 2012, Will founded Victrix Investment Advisors and earned his Certified Financial Planner (CFP) designation. In addition to his duties running Victrix, Will served as the Chief Investment Officer for Price Wealth Management in Stuart, Florida. In this role, he developed portfolios and designed sophisticated financial planning solutions for clients.
Will now lives in Jupiter, Florida with his wife, 10-year-old son, and 3-year-old daughter. His son is already showing an interest in investing after a birthday present of a framed Disney stock certificate.
 Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA): A comprehensive certification that requires:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution or equivalent education or work experience.
- Successful completion of all three exam levels of the CFA Program.
- 48 months of acceptable professional work experience in the investment decision-making process.
- Fulfillment of society requirements, which vary by society. All societies require two sponsor statements as part of each application.
- Agreeing to adhere to and sign the Member’s Agreement, a Professional Conduct Statement, and any additional documentation requested.
 Certified Financial Planner (CFP): A comprehensive certification that requires one to:
- Complete a comprehensive course of study at a college or university offering a financial planning curriculum approved by CFP Board. Or, show attainment of certain professional designations or academic degrees that cover the important subjects in CFP Board’s financial planning curriculum.
- Pass the comprehensive CFP Certification Exam.
- Complete several years of experience related to delivering financial planning services to clients.
- Agree and adhere to the CFP Board’s Standards of Professional Conduct.